Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Peppermint Essential Oil

I am intrigued by the healing aspects of essential oils.  Therefore, once a week, I am going to provide information about the benefits of a specific oil.  However, before you begin working with essential oils, it is really important to review the potential hazards of working with the natural substance.  


We have only experimented with 5 of the essential oils, so I thought I would start with those scents.  As promised, here is a picture of our aromatherapy travel candles.  I love our new labels!




PEPPERMINT ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL


Common Uses: Organic Peppermint Essential Oil has long been credited as being useful in combating stomach ailments. It is also viewed as an antispasmodic and antimicrobial agent. Of course, most people will associate it with being a flavoring or scenting agent in foods, beverages, skin and hair care products (where it has a cooling effect by constricting capillaries and helping with bruises and sore joints), as well as soaps and candles. This is largely due to its menthol content – typically 85%.

Blends well with: Basil, Bergamot, Cajeput, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Marjoram, Niaouli, Pine, Rosemary, Spearmint and Thyme.
Aromatic Scent: Organic Peppermint Essential Oil has a sharp, penetrating mint scent based on its high menthol content. The sweetness of the vapor makes it easy to see why it is such a common flavoring and scenting agent.
Cautions: Organic Peppermint Essential Oil can be sensitizing due to the menthol content. Avoid use during pregnancy.
This information was gathered from New Directions Aromatics

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fav Blogs

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Blog Archive

This is me...

My photo
Dayton, OH, United States
Hi there! I am 34 years old and the proud co-owner of Starwick Candles. My friend, Jen, and I started our business in January 2008--it was our dream to escape the corporate world! I am excited to share my experience in starting & managing a small business with fellow crafters.